Christ Church has been part of the Corning community for over 170 years. It was incorporated in 1841, which was seven years before the incorporation of the City of Corning. In the beginning, the church did not have a facility of its own. During that time, services were held in various locations, including the facilities of other denominations, a schoolhouse and a 70-seat chapel.
By 1853 the parish had grown sufficiently to build its own facility. A 400-seat early Gothic church was constructed at the corner of Denison Parkway and Walnut Streets where the U.S. Post Office is located now. That building was severely damaged by fire in 1889, and the parish decided to build a completely new structure at the present location at First and Cedar Streets. The new Christ Church opened its doors in 1895.
To the west of the church building is a two-story Parish House built in 1943. It is connected to the church by an education building that was constructed in 1956.
In 1991 the parish concluded a major $550,000 project to preserve and renew its physical plant and worship space. Renovations within the church building reflected the influence of the liturgical movement of the latter part of the 20th century, which encouraged closer contact between priest and people. To retain our architectural heritage, the high altar against the north wall and the original communion rail were maintained. To provide room for a new free-standing Holy Table and a new communion rail, workmen removed the first four rows of pews and constructed a three-tiered platform extending forward from the chancel.
All facilities are handicapped accessible. In addition, the church is equipped with a sound system that transmits an FM signal to individual receivers for the hearing-impaired.